torsdag 26 april 2012

Gertrude Hermes

Gertrude Hermes was most known for her sculptures but alongside her “field” she did series of (according to me) amazing engravings, wood and linocuts. I am glad that I stumbled upon her through this coursework. Her series of black and white wood and linocuts are the ones who I prefer the most. She did a series of engravings over 20 years in which her eye for detail is astonishing.  In printmaking so far what really interests me is Screen Printing, but her use of different tones of black and white in mainly her wood cuts I feel an urge to pick up engraving or at least do more and bigger linocuts.

A blogger called “Bibble” wrote on his blog (http://www.clivechristy.com/2010/04/gertrude-hermes-1901-1983.html) that “when other artists went on to capture nature and the idyllic conceptions of rural life her poetic imagination seems to have taken graphic form inevitably upon the wood itself as the lights responded to the tool’s inspired incisions”.

References: 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar